Friday, June 24, 2011

Our experience going to the San Juaquin County Fair in Downton Stockton

June 18th we started out our day by going to the Sacramento California Temple. It was a beautiful day out! We went to the temple and was able to have a nicer walk around since last time we went it was raining. We also made a lunch and had a picnic in the park looking at the temple. We had a wonderful time and Chris still has yet to believe me that I saw a purple colored bird.

After attending the temple we then headed back to Stockton to change into some shorts before heading to the San Juaquin County Fair. We had decided to go because I love going to fairs... I guess that is because I have lived at different fairs for days with my cows and love just hanging there. This however was quite a different fair. For one it was FREE! I thought that was pretty sweet and made going to the fair even better, plus Chris had also got a free parking pass from work, so all we had to pay for was the gas to go on a 15 minute drive... if even that to the fair.


This was a very interesting experience... for one we had to venture into downtown Stockton, that in itself is scary to me. Let me explain why... when finding out that we were being sent to Stockton for Chris's internship we got online to look up where we were going to be living for the next three months. One of the first things when looking up Stockton is the amount of crime present. My thought when moving here was that we were going to get shot... so far we have made it without being shot, however we tend to isolate ourselves. And besides we still have two weeks left (just kidding). Another reason is that everyone is always telling us don't go into this area, don't go into that area, and the list goes on and on. Chris has also been in the downtown area before with work and has told me about it so I tend to not want to go into this area at all and just avoid it all together.


So the point is... Stockton is not a good area, especially the downtown area. So we go into downtown with locked doors and senses pealed, and of course hit traffic with the fair. We start walking to the fair and are thinking okay this isn't too bad, just as long as we stay in crowded areas we should be good, plus their were a lot of police officers keeping an eye on things, so that made me feel a little better. When we reach the gate we notice that we have to go through security. I thought that was really strange and then after thinking about it it made me feel better that they had security. I have gone to fairs where you had to get your purses checked, but this was they had to run a metal detector over you before entering and check your purse. While we were entering their was also a group of kids that were like "oh man they have security." I am grateful they had security, but I would have to say that is a first for the fair.


When getting in the fair it was a little disappointing because pretty much all the animals were gone because they were sold that morning. That is really my only reason for going to the fair, but at least the dairy animals were still there and the chickens, rabbits, and guinea pigs, so at least I had them to look at. We were both just happy that everything was free because I would have been mad if I paid money for that. We still had a good time walking around and seeing different art, agriculture stuff, what animals their were, and then plants. I think the most stressful part was leaving the fair. We left pretty early because we didn't want to be there when it was dark and wanted to make sure we were on the right roads when exiting, because getting lost in downtown Stockton would be a nightmare.


So that was our experience going to the very small San Juaquin County Fair and going into downtown Stockton. Basically I don't wish to repeat going downtown, I am much better without. Also funny Stockton side note, well it is not funny at all, but it is just a commonly known Stockton sort of thing. That same day someone from church had their car broken into while at the mall in a very populated area. She of course called the police and they refused to show up unless somebody had been shot. This just makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside and not want to go anywhere anymore in the Stockton area. I guess they are saying that break-ins are just going to increase because of the economy. I guess I shouldn't worry too much because their is nothing in Kia really to steal, but still I am happy that we are leaving in two weeks as soon as Chris gets off work it is so long Stockton!

No comments:

Post a Comment