Monday, May 7, 2012

Graduation Speech

Chris and I graduated from BYU-Idaho on April 6, 2012 at the BYU-Idaho Center in Rexburg, Idaho. About a month and a half before graduation I was asked to speak at convocation. Here is my speech so that you are able to read it if you feel so inclined to.


First off, I would like to say congratulations to all of the graduates. We have had a wonderful journey and are opening another chapter of our life with new excitement of the things to come. I want to thank my family for their love and support as I completed my education here at BYU-Idaho. Also the professors here who have helped us get where we are today. Thank you!
            As I reflect on my education here at BYU-Idaho, I have experienced many joyous times and many challenging times. I have gained a great deal of knowledge; however I have also realized how little we know and that there is so much more that we need to learn. We are prepared to go out into the world and make a difference in whatever field we are going into. Whether it is going into agriculture and feeding the world, caring for the sick, continuing on with our education, or performing scientific research. We have the ability to be an example and make a difference in whatever it may be.
This is an exciting time in our life. We are so blessed and we have many opportunities before us. As we make these life changing decisions it would be best for us to follow President Uchtdorf’s council as stated “We would do well to slow down a little, proceed at the optimum speed for our circumstances, focus on the significant, lift up our eyes, and truly see the things that matter most.”
Since starting my education here at BYU-Idaho I have learned many things. I have learned that the inside of your nose freezing is common in Idaho winters and to always bring a coat with you wherever you go because in the morning it may be sunny, but in the afternoon snow may be blowing sideways. I have also learned how to perform an emergency c-section on a cow, develop a balanced ration for livestock, identify range plants in which I am constantly doing whenever I see a plant, and in many other areas as well. Including gaining a stronger understanding for the importance of agriculture and how America truly is a blessed country. The fertility of the soil here is substantial compared to other countries, with most of the large food production occurring in the United States. We have food that is easily accessible, roofs over our heads, great educational opportunities, and time to spend with our families and worship as we please.
These blessings of food, family, shelter, and freedom of religion, are marvelous yet simple blessings. Let us focus on the simple things in life that bring us great joy and remember the hand that our Heavenly Father has played in our lives as we go about our daily tasks. Let us take time to enjoy life and all that it has to offer. Many opportunities are before us, let us take advantage of them and gain as much education as we possibly can. There is always something for us to learn and improve on as we progress through this life.
I am grateful for the opportunity I had to come to BYU-Idaho, the knowledge I have gained, and experiences I have had here. This is a great university with so much to offer. I am grateful for the friendships I have gained and the spirit that resides on this campus.
            As we go off into our different directions and leave BYU-Idaho, let us keep close to our hearts the things that we have learned, both spiritual and secular. Let us remember where we stand, take time to slow down a little, enjoy life’s challenges, see the things that matter most, and place our focus on the significant things in life. 



No comments:

Post a Comment